Friday, February 13, 2009

Great Gumballs!

I am so amazed by how much I can get done around my house when I mention the word gum. I think I could get the kids to re-paint the walls all for a measly turn on the gumball machine. During Christmas, I was at a toy store getting the kids their Christmas gifts. When I turned the corner of one of the aisles, there positioned directly in front of me with an almost heavenly light shining down on it, was a red gumball machine! Well, my mommy/teacher brain went into overdrive! I thought what a perfect way to help get the kids motivated for doing extra help around the house. Yes, it is a reward system, not bribery. No, I don't always let them have gum even when they do the every day tasks such as making beds, flushing toilets, and brushing teeth...those are things that are a must!

I reward with gum when they do a random act of kindness, solve a problem without shattering the glass with screams, and my favorite doing something without complaining and sighing! The red machine has become a household favorite. I don't know what it is about a colorful little ball full of 20 second sugar blast that makes washing baseboards worth it.

It is not the gum that leads me off of a bridge, but a donut just might get me to repave the driveway :)

1 comment:

Gumball.com said...

Leanne,

Believe it or not, over the years, Gumball.com has helped parents pick out a Carousel Gumball Machine for their home... The parents claim they plan to use the gumball machine as a reward to motivate their children to complete homework, do chores or influence behavior. The power of sweet gumballs is underestimated by most!