Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Soap Box of America

I am really feeling heavy at this moment, so I thought that I would try to blog out my thoughts basically to myself because I am my only audience :) For a while now I have been having several themes in my mind that I am not sure if it from the Lord as a warning, or just a gentle reminder from him how precious our time on this earth (or this country) is. One theme I have been mulling over for a while is the 7 years of harvest and 7 years of famine, which of course took place in Joseph's time slot in the Bible. Another theme is "I am not promised tomorrow, so make today one surrendered to the Lord. A third one is "I need a will", and a 4Th one keep praying even when it doesn't feel it matters. I am very concerned for our country right now. I fact, I am very concerned for our world, nation, earth, anything that is on this planet! I don't know if the Lord is about to make a move in this time on this side of heaven, but I am really jittery in my spirit. I know that there are people that I trust that I ask about this economy and they reply that everything will be fine, it will go back to the way that it was, blah blah blah. Well, what if we have really shot ourselves in the foot this time? What if we have gotten so far away from God, that He is going to turn us over o our own lusts? I think we have gotten about as far away from Him as possible and not been regretful. I believe that we have been so over-indulgent with anything and everything we can get our hands on we are finally bringing ourselves to ruin. Are we not like the Romans in that we indulge in anything that pleases the flesh? I am not pointing any fingers without pointing 3 right back at myself.

We have known so much freedom. Freedom in our churches to worship freely. Freedom in our homes to send our children out to school or keep them at home for school. Freedom to buy and sell anything, and at one click away to someone in China! Freedom to go o Sonic and choose from 188,000 different flavors of drinks. Freedom to have as many children as we choose. Freedom to mix and marry races and social classes. Freedom for EVERYONE to receive an education and higher education is wanted. The list could go on and on. We are the Land of the Free...but for how long? Is our country about to set the stage for eternity to be ushered in? My heart leaps yes, yes, yes....but wait! There is still so much to do. So many who need to hear the word. So many who need to accept Jesus. So many who are going to be lost forever and ever and ever. My neighbors who I walk by everyday and think they don't want to talk. My postman who I only wave at and don't know what his eyes look like behind his sunglasses. The boy that runs the gas station that I ask how his school is going. Family members. Close friends. This numbs me to think about. How ashamed I am that I have selfishly spent my day thinking of 101 ways of why I drive my kids crazy. I have mulled over and over today about why they have to be such sinners and drive me crazy. Or I have let myself become weary in trying to do good. What I am afraid of is that I will be meeting Jesus face to face while wearing my sweatpants with a bottle of Windex in hand because that seemed more important at the time.

I don't know if I should start stuffing my mattress just yet, but I am afraid that we may be in for a time of famine. Maybe I should look on the bright side...when hard times hit, people hit their knees right? It has been 7 years since 9/11, and I am a little worried that the sleeping giant may be asleep again. We value Starbucks more than the millions of babies lost every year because they "weren't coming at a good time". The place where the Pilgrims landed is now home to Adam and Steve. Our schools had pride and prayer, now they have shooting and drugs. Our churches that once had revival no have the same stats of divorce rates among non church members. I could stay on this soap box all night long, but I will end because I have to teach my little ones tomorrow how to put on the armor and fight against all that is being thrown at us!

No comments: