Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The art of listening...or not??

Have you ever noticed how nice it is to talk to someone who genuinely listens to you when you talk. They hang on to every word as if you are the most important person to them? Or how good it feels when someone uses your name when talking to you, or even remembering your name when you have met them only once or twice before? I am typically not one of those people. I come from a line of non-listeners. My family wants you to hurry up, get to the point, so we can interject our opinions and then tell you something about our self. We are pretty self-centered in my opinion (they may completely disagree). I don't think that we don't want to listen, it's just that we haven't had anyone listen to us so we want our turn to talk. My family are talkers by nature, the problem is we talk but no one listens. It is pretty common to feel unvalidated, not heard, nor understood. Lately, I have been finding out that I am not very good at socialization. I do okay for a little while, because most people want to know the basics about one another. The problem for me comes when the conversation needs to move to the next level, I began to freeze. Maybe I ask to many questions. Maybe I seem to judgemental. Maybe I seem to boastful or prideful, or maybe my self-esteem seems in the toilet. Maybe I come across as too needy, talkie, or just plain boring. Whatever it is, I am having a really hard time finding myself in social situations to talk to others. I have a masters in counseling, and I managed to not pick up that I am supposed to "LISTEN" to others. I was too wrapped up in how I appeared, if I was doing a good job, or if I knew how to fix the problem". I am hoping that before I die I will be able to have a conversation with at least one person to where I actually listened to someone as Jesus would and not try to dissect the situation, but rather offer a kind ear and not feel guilty for not having the answer. I would be so happy to finally feel free from this bondage of appearing like a backwards hillbilly in Times Square.

No comments: