Monday, September 29, 2008

Simplicity from Camping...sort of.

This past weekend my family and I packed up took a road trip a few hours away and went camping! It was wonderful. D's friend took his pop-up and went so the guys could hunt. This is usually there time for hunting, but this time my husband thought it would be fun for us to go. The weather was perfect, the leaves were falling, the coffee was brewing, and the bees were humming. Life was good. I was able to make from scratch chocolate chip cookies outside, homemade chicken noodle soup, and sandwiches. I was the only female, so I provided the food at all times. It was really tiring, but so rewarding. The kids and took nature walks, and played. My only regret is that I wish I had played a little more instead of worrying about all the "doing" that was going on. If I could do it again, I think I would have enjoyed them more instead of trying to steal every second for myself in wanting to read or listen to something on the radio. One thing that was nice was the fact that there was no telephones or television. We had to walk to get our water and pour water in the toilet so we could flush it. Life was good. I found myself trying to find the Lord in all of it, and was becoming so frustrated, but I think it was because he was already there. He was there in the wind blowing. He was there in the falling leaves, he was there in the chirping birds and humming bees. He was there in the laughter of my children and the friendly conversation of family and friends. I hate when I have to learn these lessons after the fact...well, I am still growing and no perfection will come until it is all said and done.

I don't know what it is about simplicity that I crave, maybe because I am complicated and Jesus was simple. His message is simple, I make it confusing. He said Love, and then love some more. Forgive, have joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness, and self-control. How hard is that?? Well, it is pretty hard when you are someone like me and want to question everything, debate everything, opionate everything, test everything...do you see where this is going? My point is, Jesus is simplicity. Out of simplicity comes peace. Out of peace some joy, kindness, gentleness, and so on. The next time we go camping I am going to take 1 book along withe the bible, not 3; 1 CD not not 20. I will still enjoy long walks with the kids, but maybe a little more attentive.

I don't think it gets any better than that!

No comments: