Wednesday, December 24, 2008

In our home we strive to not show any favoritism of any kind to our children. However, others in our families or strangers do not hold to the same motto. So I have been batteling the green eyed monster in my home for the last 2/12 years. My daughter of course is the oldest and recieved so mucu attention and gifts because she was first in line. But when our little buddy came along, the gentle giant has been awakend! Becuase I have the opportunity to be the one who is mainly with the kids, I am one who sees the struggle that she has with this, and try to do and say what I can to help heal this wound in her. I have to admit that it is quite noticeable that people outside our little home do show favortism to my son over her. I don't know what it is. I think some people prefer boys to girls becuase they may find them easier to identify with. Some just find him so darn cute that they don't stop looking at him to notice her waving her arms trying to be "cute" to. Maybe it is the unusally blonde hair and blue eyes and I am so dark headed?? I don't know but all I know is that this momma cub gets offended too. I am not offended that people notice my child, but that I have 2, not 1. I have to watch the face of my precious daughter's heart sink when someone approaches us or we see family that say "hey little buddy!" and walk right past her. I know where she has been. I am no stranger to rejection. But what pains me teh most is that I tell her over and over that she is my number one girl, and I love her all the way to the moon. I give her many hugs, help her to speak up to the others so she is noticed to, but sometimes falls on deaf ears.

What hurts me the most is that it is not my sons fault becuase he is too young to understand what is going on, but she takes it out on him. She doesn't like anything that has to do with him becuase she is so jealous. I am out of words to speak at this point> I have faced this monster many months now, and I just don't know how else to respond to "well, I don't like him, I am jealous of him." We have talked about it being sin. We have tried to talk about how special God has made her. We have done special things for her and with her. I don't know what else to do. I don't know what else to say.

As I have been mulling over this situation it made me realize that I do the exact same thing to God. I whine and complain that he doesn't love me as much as so and so because they have a white cat and mine is striped. Or I have flat straight hair and not curly. Or I don't have the kind of feet that look good in sandals unless I am Fred Flintstones wife. It doesn't matter what God has gifted me with or given me or told me to do...I am a selfish creature, plain and simple. I am going to be jealous if I think I am getting jipped. I am not going to take it lightly if someone else is noticed and I am rejected. I am going to be just like my daughter and forget all the things he has done for me because I have my mind set on myself. What is the remedy for this problem??? I need to be thankful and tell it more often to God. When I am feeling rejected or left out, I should stop and recall all the blessings and promises that were given to me.

Now, if I can only execute this problem to my 5 1/2 year old :)

No comments: