Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year New Beginnings

Tomorrow will mark the very first day of the first month aka: New Year's Day. I think everyone looks forward to this day because there is always a hope that something will change for the better, become better, and be different than what it is today. I can say that my credit card is still going to be the same tomorrow with maybe a little less on it, my children are still going to fight with one another, and I will still have dishes to do. I don't' look to the new year to be my saving grace because I already have that. I don't look to it to kid myself into thinking I am going to nicely squeeze back into my Pre-Preggie blue jeans by mid March, because I am still going to have that piece of cake and coffee after my meal with my friends :) I could name off many more things that I want to change, but just like healing it doesn't happen over night. I give myself grace to know that it doesn't happen instantly. Yes, Jesus healed instantly to some, but I think he knows that I am one that has to learn a bit slower. I am like a good crock pot...I have to simmer on low for awhile b/c when I go to boiling hot too quickly, my head nearly explodes with pride, so I have to keep at a steady pace. Maybe that is why he has planted me near water...I need to slow down, be still, and relax :)

I can't think of anyone stating New Year's Resolutions in the Bible, but God does say that he will give us the desires of our hearts. I don't think that means he will don me with a heavy new rock for my finger, but I do think he will help me to find a nice balance between school and house cleaning. I love date nights with my husband, so I know he will help us to find the opportunities to make that happen. But one thing that comes to mind that I haven't thought much about is being more intentional about my prayers for my husband and children. I see so many things in them that the Lord will use, but I have too do my part to be in tuned with God to know which is the best ways to steer them. (I am not trying to be the Holy Spirit for them, just staying in check so I can help them how He wants me to)

For instance : Emily is so sensitive and passionate about other people and is in tuned to their actions and heart. We were in a Chinese restaurant together and she asked if I thought the people that worked there knew Jesus. She wanted to make sure that they knew about them. When we prayed before our meal, she asked to pray and not only did she thank God for the food we were eating, but for the people who prepared our food! Did I mention she is only 5 1/2? I am not tooting my own horn b/c believe me, that is only the work of the Lord. There have been many days that I didn't know if she even cared about what I was teaching her, but today I saw a piece of that fruit bud pop out of my little one. Emily has so many qualities that God has given her that can be used mightily for him, but I believe that if I do not watch for the weeds that pop up and help her or pray about it those weeds could be become too much and choke out some of the things that have been budding. I also have to be sensitive to not being a weed killer either. Nobody likes to be put down or made to feel guilty for what they do and this is not an easy area for a dying Pharisee as myself :(

My prayer for the New Year will include some things like exercise b/c I need to be more healthy for myself and my family, and probably less refined sugar, but I don't think that is what the Lord wants me to focus solely on. I think He wants me to just "be still, and know He is God". I am praying that I will be intentional in prayer for my family and go beyond the " please keep us safe and healthy" line. I want to dig deeper. I want to see roots of unrighteousness pulled out and replaced with HIS fruit.

I am so thankful for this year and I am looking forward to next year. I can honestly look back over the last year and see a huge hand from God in my life. I am praying that I will be praising more and complaining less.

From my Hammock to your resting place: Happy New Year!
What do you want to be intentional about?

No comments: