Sunday, December 14, 2008

With the Christmas festivities in full swing, it is hard to dodge some stray bullets that may be coming at my family. It is easier during the year to delay meeting with certain people, be unavailable to attend certain dinner invitations, or someone "just may be sick" and not be able to come over. But during the holidays you know that to do such a thing really gives the impression that one must really be a scrooge to not be apart of the festivities. The truth to all of this is that my husband and I have never turned down any invitations that were handed out, so this may answer the question why I feel like we are often the perfect target for people to practice their target practice on. Everybody has felt like a punching bag at one point or another, and to feel it at the holidays can make the month more dreadful. I love Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I also know that it is a very hard time for me personally. I won't go into all the tid bits because I don't think that my life details are that exciting, sometimes they are down right depressing...so I am thankful that I serve a God whom I can throw all of my attention to and take the focus off of myself (he must increase, and I must decrease..right!)

In writing this, I will admit that I do have a heavy heart, because I expect too much out of others and think that because the Lord has worked in so many ways in my life this year, maybe they want to hear about it...or maybe they have changed to. Try again. Since my husband and I have answered the call to home school, we have obtained much furrowed eyebrows, "ohs", and "hmmmsss". Sometimes even a hiss. I have had very dear friends that have been with me for years to disappear. It's like "now you hear from me, now you don't." I have had many questions, disappointed looks, and misunderstandings. But for some reason it is OK. Sure it hurts. Who wants to be rejected. But then I just have to remember that Jesus was rejected as well, and he told me this was how it would be. Not everyone is against us. We do have a cheering section for our little Harbor House Academy. It may be a small one, but little by little more are attending our games.

I couldn't do it without my best friend right by my side helping me along the way. He is my number one coach. In our home the teacher gets to date the principle :) Homeschooling is not easy, but what is when God calls us too it. How I know when something is right for me is when I am content and satisfied with what I am doing. Sure I fret, but then I read in Psalms 37 about not fretting, I lay it down, and move on to the next thing he has for me. I am teaching my children, but it is so much more than that. I want to have a speech prepared for those doubters and ney sayers but what would that prove? It will all some out on wash day. If my Lord is the one who brought us to this, than it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. He will guide me, comfort me, show me the way..if I just keep looking to Him and no one else. I want to stand like shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and say "we know He can save us from this fire, and he may choose not to, but we will not worship any other god." (paraphrase).

2 comments:

joanne said...

Hi Leanne ~
I am happy to have stumbled upon your blog. It is wonderful to meet a fellow homeschooler on this journey!

May the Lord bless you as you walk in the way He has chosen for your family.

Warmly,
joanne calderwood
www.URtheMom.com
www.HomeschoolCoach.Wordpress.com

Jenn said...

Leanne.. I just always so much appreciate your honesty.. and I mean really.. teacher dating the principal.. I am not sure how I feel about that!

I know that God has given you an incredible calling to homeschool your kids.. and you don't have to defend that calling to ANYONE. God is the one who calls, guides and equipps our lives and sometimes we just can't convince other people in that. But if it matters at all.. I think what you are doing is AWESOME!